la_samtyr: books (books)
[personal profile] la_samtyr
I went on a brief vacation last week. It was a tour that highlighted the trains of Colorado -- *Not* Amtrak.

Let me tell you, the narrow gauge RR from to Durango to Silverton is amazing! I highly recommend it. And the cog train up Pike's Peak is another must. However. One thing you have to remember about the mountains is altitude. If you do not live in a fairly mountainous area (i.e., above sea level), you need to be aware of this and prepare. Denver, while known as the Mile-High City, does not count.

To best enjoy Pike's Peak, bundle up good. It is above the treeline, and it is very *very* windy. Amazing views though. You can literally see for miles. So definitely keep it in mind for a "to do" list.

Now I am off to take a nap. Take care everyone and please stay safe!

((hugs))

Date: 2026-06-01 10:43 am (UTC)
shirebound: (Default)
From: [personal profile] shirebound
Amazing views though.

I'm sure of that! Cool, clear air sounds lovely during these warmer days.

Date: 2026-06-01 03:20 pm (UTC)
cairistiona: (sea longing)
From: [personal profile] cairistiona
I have done both trains/railways and concur--they're amazing. (I had soot in my camera nooks and crannies for all the years I owned it after that ride.) Also concur about altitude, adding that even Denver is rough if you're not used to anything over 2000 feet ASL. I had some shortness of breath there in the city, though nothing like when we drove up one of the fourteeners (Mt, Bierstadt, Guanella Pass--we drove, and I declined to hike over to another outlook from the parking lot XD). I just took it slow and did fine, though.

Glad you had a lovely vacation!

Date: 2026-06-02 08:52 pm (UTC)
hhimring: Estel, inscription by D. Salo (Default)
From: [personal profile] hhimring
Those train trips sound amazing! Glad you had a good time.

Date: 2026-06-11 09:38 am (UTC)
erulissedances: US and Ukrainian Flags (Default)
From: [personal profile] erulissedances
I was wondering about what you were up to, and just got your postcard yesterday (Thanks!!!). I have taken both of those trains, although I'm more likely to be in a car driving from one point in the state to another. Beautiful views, yes-cold because of the never-ending breeze. I do miss my mountains, but I love the water that I have in Minnesota. Water is at a premium in a lot of Colorado.

Glad you had a great time. *hugs*

- Erulisse (one L)

Profile

la_samtyr: asian art drawing of sleeping cat (Default)
la_samtyr

October 2026

S M T W T F S
    123
4 5678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 13th, 2026 04:29 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios