la_samtyr: yellow rose against arched window (window and rose)
[personal profile] la_samtyr
girl reading book by samantha dodge

The National Book Foundation and Penguin Random House are encouraging you to make #TimeToRead tomorrow between Noon and 4 p.m. (in your respective time zone). 40% of American adults are at or below basic reading proficiency and 14% are illiterate. Additionally, 53% of 9-year-olds read daily—with that number dropping to only 19% by the time they turn 17.

National Readathon Day is meant to save the bookworms and inspire reading for pleasure. If you choose to donate through FirstGiving, proceeds will support education programs like BookUp—an afterschool reading program that has donated over 25,000 books to middle schoolers.

What will you be doing tomorrow between Noon and 4? We certainly hope you’ll be reading like us! Post what you’ll be reading in the comments and send us your photos! Remember to tag them with #TimetoRead. Happy Reading!

*The above was copy/pasted from this link: http://blog .thereadingroom.com /2015/01/ national-readathon-day.html

**The picture could be me, except for the red hair. :)

Date: 2015-01-24 02:31 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] engarian.livejournal.com
I always have my nose in a book - from wake-up to back down for sleep again, I'm always reading.

- Erulisse (one L)

Date: 2015-01-25 08:06 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] samtyr.livejournal.com
So do I! :) [Except for the times when I am forced to do bookwork ... *le sigh*]

Date: 2015-01-26 03:03 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] keiliss.livejournal.com
Oh I love this picture. That sums up my entire childhood (these days I'm more likely to be holding a kindle than paper *g*)

Date: 2015-01-26 03:47 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] samtyr.livejournal.com
I'm still reading paper except for stories that are online. ;)

I did get a Nook only to learn that B&N wanted me to use plastic to set up an account -- which put paid to that idea.

I've heard things about Amazon that make me not trust them since there is no way to save/back-up ebooks. Music, yes. E-books, no. So that is out too.

As for iTunes -- I don't have an iPad (not likely to have one either) and no iPhone either. (Where I live has poor cell reception at best. *sigh*)

Date: 2015-01-27 05:14 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] keiliss.livejournal.com
Ha, I don't do iTunes either. I have a pc player on my laptop but I lost the password (don't judge me) No iPad or iPhone, they are waaaay expensive and not essentials in my life. Quite happy with my Samsung.

I have Kindle for PC on my laptop, so when I buy a book I always remember to download it there and save the file to a flash drive, because I'm not crazy about the idea of leaving something I've bought up in the cloud. It works well enough, and there are programs that'll strip and extract the document if you want to go that far or change the format.... I love the Kindle for fan fiction, I download a lot in that format from AO3.

Having said all that, there is still nothing to beat the smell and feel of a book, and my idea of bliss is still getting to spend hours in a second hand book store.

Date: 2015-01-30 11:43 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical21.livejournal.com
After glancing at the comments here, I almost feel like a traitor because I have to admit that I do have a Kindle which I use every day, but I have a perfectly good excuse. I am no spring chicken (and never mind exact numbers) which means that I have been acquiring books for decades. Literally. And now I find that I simply have no more room to store them. I even had to resort to donating boxes (seven in all) to my local library when I moved a while back and simply had no room. So, yes, I do have and use a Kindle, where I both buy books from Amazon and borrow from my local library.

But I still read every single day, and more so now than ever since I've retired and have time to devour everything that catches my fancy, which means almost everything.

I think, when they bury me, my tombstone will have to mention that I lived my life in books, at least as much as in reality. :)

Profile

la_samtyr: asian art drawing of sleeping cat (Default)
la_samtyr

June 2026

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910 111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 12th, 2026 06:12 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios